Last week I gave a presentation on Facebook live: Attorney’s Fees After Rohrmoos. You can watch the live video here: Attorney’s Fees After Rohrmoos video. The talk is credited by the State Bar of Texas for 1.00 CLE credit. I give the number at the end of the presentation so after you watch it, you’ll have that number to self-report your credit. Here’s a link to the Rohrmoos case.
Tips after Rohrmoos about attorney’s fees:
- Keep contemporaneous billing records in all cases, including hybrid and contingent fee cases;
- Try to stipulate to the fee award prior to trial;
- Enter your fee agreement and billing records into evidence at trial;
- Be careful about redacting your entries in the fee agreement;
- Introduce evidence to explain why all entries included were reasonable and necessary;
- Consider getting an outside expert to support or challenge the fee request.
During the presentation, I promised to provide a couple of things I’ve drafted and here they are:
Summary of attorney’s fee testimony
Brief on attorney’s fees (property case)
Brief on attorney’s fees (SAPCR)
I previously wrote about the Rohrmoos case in this blog post: Proving up attorneys fees