Recently I came across a blog discussing tips to surviving a divorce. Interestingly, the blog wasn’t written by an attorney but the divorce survival tips all come back to one thing – the importance of hiring a good lawyer. The blog has some good tips that apply to a divorce in Dallas Texas which I will outline in the order they were presented.
- Hire a good divorce lawyer. Hiring an attorney that is compatible with your personality is absolutely critical in protecting your rights and best interests during such a troubling time. The right attorney serves not only as a mediator but also as an advocate of your interests.
- Keep written records of everything. Keeping a journal of who said what and when often shows which of the parties is more organized. Also, written records of conversations are helpful during the division of community property.
- Keep your cool. Although this is a stressful time, keep in mind that everything you say or do is going to be looked at under a microscope. If you lose your cool, you can stand to lose a lot. Not only in terms of property, but also in custody determinations.
- Read everything. Obviously, a good attorney will ensure that you understand everything relating to the division of property and custody issues. However, never assume that just because your attorney reads everything that you are not responsible for doing the same.
- No guilt trips. This ties in closely with number three. Remember, nobody likes a sneaky, passive aggressive person. Communicate your concerns to your attorney in a direct manner. Address any problems as they arise – not after everything has built up and is coming to a head.
- Never use children as leverage. All to often we see clients who put their interests (i.e. revenge) before those of their kids. Remember that the divorce is not their fault, and that you have absolutely nothing to gain (but very much to lose) by using your children as a bargaining tool.
Although these may seem like common sense, it is easy to forget them during a divorce proceeding. A good divorce attorney who clicks with your personality will help you remember them.
Our firm would like to help you with your divorce. We represent people getting a divorce in Dallas, Collin, Denton, and Tarrant Counties in Texas.