Texas Maximum Child Support Cap Is Changing September 1, 2013

Currently, there is a cap in the monthly net resources used when calculating child support in Texas. The current child support cap in Texas is $7,500.00 net monthly resources per month. Depending on the number of children involved, the monthly net resources are then multiplied by a percentage for the number of children a parent has a duty to support as represented below.

Beginning September 1, 2013, the cap in the monthly net resources used when calculating child support will be increased to $8,550.00 per month. This change will affect any and all cases filed after September 1, 2013 as well as cases that are pending as of September 1, 2013. Therefore, if you are finalizing your child support case prior to September 1, 2013 and your monthly net resources exceed $7,500.00 per month, you should consider modifying your child support to be in compliance with the new law in order to save yourself from a future modification of child support.

Trackbacks (0) Links to blogs that reference this article Trackback URL
Comments (18) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Will Sennette - July 24, 2013 7:50 AM

I'm getting divorced, my current wife and I have one child. I'm currently paying Child support for another child from a previous marriage. What is the maximum Child support I will have to pay for both children.

Natalie - August 6, 2013 8:52 PM

I JUST saw this new info (Aug 6) about the new cap on child support calculations, and of course it's 5 hours after I filed a petition to modify my current (signed Nov 2003) child support for 1 child to meet current standards to $1500. Now I see that I could have petitioned for the new upcoming standard. (I cant believe I didnt run across this with as much research I have done)
Is there any way I can submit an amendment to the petition to modify? Do I have to wait? Whats the small print say about my situation?

Lisa Thompson - August 8, 2013 12:10 PM

If my soon ex makes between 250,00- 300,000
No dept. under new law, what is child support amount?

Lisa Thompson - August 8, 2013 12:11 PM

Child support 1 child. Income 250,000.. No dept. what is new amt?

Marla - September 12, 2013 2:50 PM

I guess I am not understand this at all and am wondering if I will be affected. I am already recieving child supprt for my one child. Will anything change in my case? Thank you for any information that you can give me.

jhkriesel - February 7, 2014 2:16 PM

My daughter divorced in the Fall of 2011 at which time she received $1875 per month for child support for two children, which she was told was the "cap" for child support at the time. The non costodial parent's income is in the $700000 per year range. Under the ammended guide lines what is the cuttent cap on child support.

Paula - February 11, 2014 2:02 PM

I went through a divorce in November of 2010. My ex-husband had agreed to a higher than required child support because of his high income. He took me back to court after re-marrying and having a child and decreased my child support to the minimum amount he would have to pay in the state of texas. At that time, the cap was the $7500 a month. Now that cap has been raised to $8500. The increase in my child support is not a large one, but I'm wondering should I apply for a modification to keep up with the changes. I know there is a review for increase every 6 years. We share 3 children together and so we will go through at least one more review before the last child turns 18. Also, I have read different things in regards to situations where the obligor makes in excess of the cap. My ex-husband, the last year we were married made gross over $300,000.00 a year. Please help.

Virna - March 4, 2014 2:31 PM

I filed for divorce in 2011, am receiving $1809/mth, does it increase if my ex-spouse earns more money? If so, is this determined through an automatic audit of his current earnings??

Priscilla gonzales - April 28, 2014 11:35 PM

Hi..I was told by my soon to ex and his attorney that there is a 1500.00 dollar cap for child support.we have 3 children is that true?

Jpmohave@hotmail.com - May 11, 2014 11:10 PM

How about you deadbeats get jobs or change your lifestyle l.
Being married to a high roller is what afforded the lifestyle.

When you get divorced what happened to strong I dependent women?

And what in the hell costs $1800 a month or $8500 a month for a kid?

Is he fat as hell eating steak every meal?;

MJ - June 12, 2014 7:18 AM

You are getting $1809 per month?

Deloirs - August 4, 2014 4:45 PM

Does this mean that the most a man can pay for child support s $2500.00 per month regardless of his income? My ex son-in-law makes well over 200,000.00 a year and my daughter has 3 children and a teachers salary. So my understanding is the children suffer because he has a cap on child support payments.

[Deloirs, Thank you for reading my blog. Unfortunately, I cannot comment or give advice on specific situations in my blog. If you or your daughter wish to discuss your situation, please contact my office to schedule a consultation. -- MMO]

Deloirs - August 4, 2014 4:45 PM

Deloirs - August 4, 2014 4:45 PM

Deloris - August 4, 2014 4:48 PM

Does this mean the most anyone pays is $2500.00 per month even if they make in excess of 200,000.00. Really doesn't seem fair.

Deloris - August 4, 2014 5:20 PM

Deloris - August 4, 2014 5:20 PM

Deloris - August 4, 2014 5:20 PM

Post A Comment / Question Use this form to add a comment to this entry.

Remember personal info?
Send To A Friend Use this form to send this entry to a friend via email.